Monday, August 2, 2010

Lecture review 1 - Old Communication Technology vs New Communication Technology

New Comm Tech was my very first lecture this semester! This course sounds really interesting & up my alley… even if I’m not a computer nerd. We are going to be doing a ‘Tutespark’ each week, which is like an interactive activity/question…like answering questions & combining your response with a short film, blog etc. I’m really looking forward to it rather than a stack of boring, dry essays like most subjects require.

The two lecturers Josh & Jules seem a little quirky… but it sounds like they like a bit of fun! I like their conversational approach to the lecture material, keeps me from almost nodding off like I do in some others and… I love the fact that Josh said there’s not much point taking lecture notes, woohoo!!!

Today’s lecture provided an overall insight into the concept of technology, Josh defined this as ‘The scientific study of mechanical arts and their application to the world’. Then we looked ‘Communication Technology’ and distinguishing ‘Old Technology’ vs. ‘New Technology’. I learned that communication technology does not have to have any relation to computers or technology… rather it is ANYTHING that helps humans communicate with each other.

Our Tute*Spark this week is:

How do we distinguish between old and new communication technologies? Under what circumstances will new communication technologies become old communication technologies?

I created these two images below to help you easily compare 'Old Comm Tech' and 'New Comm Tech':

Old Communication Technology:




New Communication Technology



I thought this 'Did you know' video was really interesting to show how rapidly changing technology is affecting us all.




I found this interesting article on Google Scholar which emphasises how buy investing in new technology we become more productive and efficient:


http://www.jstor.org/pss/2647074http://www.jstor.org/pss/2647074


Then on the flip side I found this article on how 'Old reliable items are being phased out by new technology' (Sixbear 2009)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1452341/old_technology_vs_new_technology.html


Although the second article is not scholarly, she does raise a few valid points.. worth thinking about

No comments:

Post a Comment